House fire contained to upstairs

By: 
Virginia Ransbottom

ALLEGAN— A fire broke out in a bedroom closet at 321 Spruce St. but was quickly contained to the upstairs.

According to resident Matt Hurley, the fire started after a young boy in the home was playing with a lighter. Hurley said he tried to put it out with a fire extinguisher but was not successful and called 911. 

Assistant fire chief Matt Gillies said flames could be seen when firefighters arrived. Gillies said the fire was contained to the upstairs.

Below the broken windows, firefighters are pictured carrying out all the first floor contents to prevent any further smoke or water damage.

Hurley said he had no insurance.

The fire started around 11:30 a.m. Monday, June 13.

.

Kaechele Publications, Inc.
241 Hubbard St.
P.O. Box 189
Allegan, MI 49010
Phone: 269-673-5534
Fax: 269-673-5535

Meet the staff

The Union Enterprise
P.O. Box 483
Plainwell, MI 49080
269-673-5534

The Commercial Record
3217 Blue Star Hwy.
P.O. Box 246
Saugatuck, MI 49453
269-857-8187 or 269-857-4637

Comment Here