Take an Arbor Day quiz
To honor Arbor Day, the City of Allegan invited Teresa Herlein’s fifth-grade class to Jaycee Park on May 1 for a program about trees.
The Pine Trails Elementary School class was given sugar maple seedlings to plant at home; then the students headed over to the neighboring police station to help fill in the dirt around a newly-planted Colorado blue spruce tree.
Justin Burchett, program manager with the Allegan Conservation District, quizzed the students on their tree knowledge. Here is a sampling of the questions he asked. The answers are here.
What year was the first Arbor Day celebrated?
2. What is the state tree of Michigan?
A. Sugar Maple
B. White Pine
C. Red Oak
3. What is the national tree?
A. Mighty Oak
B. Mighty Pine
C. Mighty Maple
4. Tree that lose their leaves in the fall are:
5. Shade trees around your home can reduce your air conditioning needs by up to:
6. Cottonwood trees have seeds surrounded by white, fluffy hairs and can be carried in the wind for up to several:
7. How much land in the United States is covered by forest?
8. A single tree can produce enough oxygen each year for how many people?
9. We need national forests because the average life of a tree in the city is only:
A. 8 years
B. 15 years
C. 20 years