House fire

Hopkins house fire allowed to burn

Virginia Ransbottom

A house fire in Hopkins Township was allowed to burn after a joint decision by the homeowners and the fire department.
The fire was called in by a passing motorist at about 5:30 a.m. Thursday, Jan. 5, in the 2900 block of 18th Street. When Hopkins Area Fire Department arrived, the rear of the house was fully involved, according to fire chief Tim McKinnon.
Firefighters made an interior attack and fought the fire for more than two hours be-fore regrouping. High winds, arctic temperatures, age of the home and type of construction made continued firefighting more dangerous in a structure that was already heavily damaged, McKinnon said.  
The decision was made jointly with the owner to let the house burn to the ground after some personal items were removed by firefighters who remained on scene to monitor the situation for several more hours.  
The power had been shut off to the house in October. The occupants said a generator and heater were being used while living in the garage portion of the house. The occupants and two dogs got out safely and no injuries were reported.
"Any property that could be saved was," McKinnon said.
Assisting Hopkins was Wayland, Dorr, Allegan and Martin fire departments and the Gun Lake Tribal Police.
The Red Cross was not requested.



Allegan County News
241 Hubbard St.
P.O. Box 189
Allegan, MI 49010
Phone: 269-673-5534
Fax: 269-673-5535

Meet the staff

The Commercial Record
415 Wiley Rd, Suite 105
Douglas, MI 49406

P.O. Box 246
Sauagtuck, MI 49453
Phone: 267-857-2570
Fax: 269-857-4637

The Union Enterprise
P.O. Box 483
Plainwell, MI 49080

AlleganNews is part of Wilcox Newspapers
Copyright 2020, Wilcox Newspapers

Comment Here