Former Minor Lake Store burns to ground

Two adults, two children and two dogs all got out safely from the old Miner Lake Store, at 2607 122nd Ave., Allegan, before it burned to the ground Wednesday morning around 2:40 a.m.

It was a five-alarm fire with Allegan and Hopkins fire departments still on scene at 8 a.m. putting out hot spots.

The age of the building and a high number of contents inside fueled the fire. Renters were using a pellet heater which may have been the source of the fire.

Smoke alarms were in the residence owned by Walter and Kathy Garrett.

Siding melted on a building next to the store, but did not catch fire. Trowbridge, Salem and Hamilton fire departments also assisted at the scene along with Life EMS, the American Red Cross and local law enforcement.

The family living in the building lost all of their possessions in the fire. A Go Fund Me page has been set up at this link.

.

Kaechele Publications, Inc.
241 Hubbard St.
P.O. Box 189
Allegan, MI 49010
Phone: 269-673-5534
Fax: 269-673-5535

Meet the staff

The Union Enterprise
P.O. Box 483
Plainwell, MI 49080
269-673-5534

The Commercial Record
3217 Blue Star Hwy.
P.O. Box 246
Saugatuck, MI 49453
269-857-8187 or 269-857-4637

Comment Here