Fire devours Ganges Township barn—Updated
GANGES TWP.—Fire crews fought a blaze Tuesday evening, June 24, at a barn near 66th Street and 118th Avenue.
Fennville resident Brad Klosner captured images of the firefighters dousing the site, saying the barn was at 1719 66th St.
Ganges Fire Department was assisted on the scene by fire crews from Fennville Saugatuck, Clyde and South Haven.
The Allegan County News will update this story as details become available.
UPDATE—Ganges Township Fire Department chief Doug Compton said his department was called about 5:45 p.m. Tuesday, June 24, to the home on 66th Street.
“The barn was fully involved when we got there,” Compton said. “It was a wooden barn from the early 1900s and it burned very hot.”
He said some goats and chickens were killed in the fire; firefighters were unsure what caused it.
“We have absolutely no idea,” Compton said. “There was really nothing left to even investigate.”
The owners live in Chicago, he said, and weren’t around when the fire started.
Compton said sounds heard around the neighborhood were the result of a 100-pound propane tank venting as designed when it was heated up.
“It freaked out everyone around there,” he said.
Firefighters were on the scene until about 9:30 p.m.